A standard Moodle assessment will automatically link to the gradebook. A manual item is a grade item that is added directly to the gradebook that is not linked to any activity in the Moodle course. Examples of manual items include participation, on-ground activities, or extra credit points.
Adding a Manual Item
- Locate the Administration block and click Gradebook Setup, under Course administration.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Add grade item
- Fill in the required information such as “Item name” and “Maximum grade” and then click Save Changes. Your item will be added to the gradebook upon saving.
Grading a Manual Item
- Locate the navigation area on the left side of the page and click Grades under Course Administration.
- To enter a grade, first you must click Turn Editing On from the top right corner.
- Scroll right to the manual item you wish to grade.
- Then, click into the grade area you wish to grade. Enter the grade into the solid-outlined box and click Save Changes at the bottom of the page (you may need to scroll back to the left).
- Typed feedback is optional and can be provided by clicking on the gear icon that is above the student’s grade and then entering text in the Feedback text box. Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page when you are finished.
Interested in learning more about grading, feedback, and assessment in your online course? Feel free to explore the following articles on our Center for Teaching and Learning: